Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Chilis en nogada

The food in Puebla has been amazing. I only wish I could get this kind of Mexican food in San Francisco. Even the tacos are so much better than on Mission Street.

Yesterday I had a very traditional Poblano dish called chilis en nogada. I had no idea what I was ordering, but my guide, Dr. Sanchez, recommended that we all try it before we leave Puebla. He told me where I could find them, because apparently, they are not served all year round.

I was surprised to see this big white thing arrive at my table, covered with chopped cilantro and pomegranite seeds. It was coverd with some sort of a white sauce. I cut into it and found that it was a chili relleno - a big chili (slightly spicy), breaded and fried, and filled with all sorts of stuff - I detected squash (or pumpkin), some kind of meat, some nuts, raisins and lord knows what else.

I wanted to know more about the dish and why it is not served year round, so I asked my waiter and he told me it is normally served in September to celebrate Mexican Independence. Thus, the colors of the Mexican flag - red, white and green.

It was a special dish and I'm glad I got to try it, but I can also see why it is not eaten year round, and just at a special time of the year. It is too rich to have every day and probably really difficult to make.

1 comment:

Chris said...

HI Rick...I came across your chili en nogada comment on a PV website, so had to see what you had to say. This is one of my favorite 'special dishes' from Mexico, but like you said really difficult to find, and especially in the states...there is a restaurant in Carmel, at the Barnyard called 'Hola' and another small restaurant in Watsonville that serve it. Took me 8 years to find something here. Last year found a place in PV...gave up going to all my favorite restaurants that day, just to have it! Since Le Bistro is redone, I have to see that next week when I'm there!
Bon Appetito to a fellow Nogada fan!