Thursday, January 3, 2008

Food glorious food!


I have to say, I love the food here. I have been really lucky that for the most part, everything I have eaten has been a real taste sensation. I did make the mistake of going to Burger King the other day because it was there on the zocalo and I didn't have a lot of time before we set off for Cholula, but it was like eating garbage compared to the other food I have had.
This picture is a plate I had twice at one of my favorite restaurants, Fonda Santa Clara. It is the Puebla Botana or Puebla appetizer. It features three things, but I can't remember what they are, or which is which. One is a chalupa, which I think is the flat thing in the center, one is a molete and I don't know what the other thing is. It comes with a yummy fresh salsa and a few pieces of really delicious cheese. I love it. After this I had a bowl of pozole which was incredible. It was not like any pozole I ever had and soooo much better than the pozole I had at VIPS in Mexico City. I even think the hominy was fresh and not from a can.
Last night I went to a place called La Sacristia and had their tortilla soup which was very nice and something called Manchamantel, which was pork cooked in a red tomatoey sauce with pineapple and ripe plantains. I had a little bit of a dried chile over from the tortilla soup which I sprinkled on the dish and it was a wonderful combination of sweet and spicy. It reminded me of a really good hot and sour pork. As soon as my photos are finished uploading, and I finish this post, I am heading back there to have some of their mole, which is supposed to be really good. Last night I had two beers, a soup and a main dish and my bill was about 17 dollars. A real splurge, but so worth it and so much cheaper than what I would pay for a meal like that in SF.
Ok, looks like the upload is done, it's off to eat!

No comments: